Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Research continues




May 31, 2010

Location: Stradeborke Island

Second day of research. We woke up early again to collect some data before breakfast, however, the tide started to beat us so we only collected in one area. After breakfast we reevaluated our projects to double check everything was moving smoothly. We then had our second lecture entitled: the ecology of sandy islands. We learned about the formation of Stradebroke Island (and other sandy islands at that, just with Stradebroke as the prime example). After lecture, we had little time before our next lecture, so my group mates and I studied up on fish from our field guides to help with identification. We also went through the fish ids we have already identified to match common names with scientific names. Our second lecture was given by Art and it was entitled: Metabolism of the Sea. Basically he gave an introduction to the rest of lectures he has planned for us. It was focused on the chemical aspects of the waters and its impact on the biology. I am excited to finally learn chemistry as its related to something of interest rather than the general chemistry courses I’ve had to suffer through the past few years. By the time the second lecture was over, we only had an hour or so before low tide (…and our next data collection). I took the chance to explore the town a little, and to take pictures on the beach. And yes, I finally climbed a tree in Australia (hurray!!). The town was very small but I am sure I only saw a portion of it. I couldn’t find the post office so I am sure there is a whole part of the island I was missing but I shall continue to keep my eye out for one. I took some awesome photos on the beach. I tried some artsy shots but I’m not sure how well they turned out (especially with just a little point and shoot digital camera). Well it finally came time to seine and as we were walking back out to the beach, our little friends came to help us out again. This time we did one day sampling and one night sampling. The sun set so quickly that by the time we were done with the first (our day one) it was already dark for our second. Our second survey was absolutely crazy. We caught so many fish, that we were struggling to get them all in the buckets before they died. And when we got them all into the buckets it took us forever to count them. Needless to say, we killed a bunch of fish (sad day). I am still amazed by the magnitude of fish we caught (that’s some good data there) and the size of the fish. Oh and we also caught a few cuttlefish (!!!) I wish I could take them back to the states with me. We threw them back in first so that they would survive and as they swam away you could see their ink trails (so cool). We also caught some very pretty pipefish. They were bright green and at first I thought it was just a piece of sea weed and then it moved, freaked me out a bit. The other cool fish we caught was the slender seamoth. They have enlarged, wing-like and horizontal pectoral fins (description out of the field guide). But that was all that was new. Only a couple more collections and we will have enough data to reach a conclusion for our project. I enjoy the work very much but it would be so much easier if we had a few more people helping us out. I don’t mind going in the water (at night is a little scary) although pulling on a wet wetsuit isn’t the most pleasant thing in the world. I am still glad with my decision to work on this project. Today the weather was perfect and beautiful. I sat out on the porch for a while basking in the sun (with sunscreen on, of course). I enjoyed my second set of lectures and the continuation of my research project. There really is not much more I could ask for.

Notables:
Barred Fortesque aka scorpionfish (Centropogon australis) have sharp venomous dorsal fins- little butt head stabbed me in the finger. The fish was too small to do any damage but I guess I appreciate the effort by the little guy. I didn’t even know they were venomous until I read the field guide.

Pipefish are in the same family as the common seahorse

South Stradebroke Island used to be attached to North Stradebroke Island until a storm wiped out a portion of the island.

Straddy= Stradebroke Island

No comments:

Post a Comment